Owners of a funeral home in Colorado have been arrested after approximately 190 decomposing bodies were discovered at their establishment.

John and Carey Halford, owners of the "Return to Nature" funeral home, were arrested on Wednesday on four counts of criminal charges, including abuse of a corpse, theft, money laundering, and forgery, according to a statement from the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office in Colorado.

The couple was taken into custody without incident in Wagner, Oklahoma, and their bail was set at $2 million.

Details about the likely cause of the incident have been sealed, but District Attorney Michael Allen stated that he would not contest their release at a later date.

Sponsor Message

"Let me warn you, the information contained in these affidavits is absolutely shocking," he told reporters during a Wednesday press conference. Prosecutors may file additional charges as the investigation progresses.

Police first searched the funeral home, located about 30 miles south of Colorado Springs in the town of Penrose, on October 3 after receiving reports of a "foul odor" emanating from the building.

What they found inside was described as "horrific" by Fremont County Sheriff Allen Cooper, who declined to provide further details during an October 6 press conference.

According to the website of the "Return to Nature" organization, it offers environmentally friendly and natural burial services that allow bodies to decompose in the ground without the use of metal caskets or chemicals.

This practice is legal in the state of Colorado, but the law requires that bodies not embalmed must be placed in refrigeration within 24 hours of death.

Fremont County Coroner Randy Keller refused to say whether the remains found at "Return to Nature" were intended for natural burial but noted that they were being stored improperly.

Some relatives of those whose remains were sent to the funeral home for cremation told the Associated Press that they believe they were given fake ashes made of dry concrete.

The Halfords also sued a crematory that ceased doing business with them, but this issue did not appear to attract the attention of state inspectors with broadly lenient rules for funeral homes — even after the company's registration expired in November.

Initial estimates by investigators put the number of bodies in the approximately 2,500-square-foot building at around 115. However, after all the remains were moved to the El Paso County Coroner's Office, that number was increased to 189, and then 190 individuals.

The process of identifying specific victims is ongoing, Keller stated on Wednesday. In total, 110 individuals have been identified through fingerprinting, dental records, or medical devices. Twenty-five bodies have been returned to their families.

Colorado Governor Jared Polis issued an oral disaster declaration to free up additional resources for the investigation. State and federal investigation bureaus, offices of coroners from three counties, the state's emergency management agency, state police, and local police agencies are participating in these efforts.

Some of the investigators come from the FBI's team that has been dispatched to mass casualty events such as September 11 and plane crashes.